Who doesn’t love the irresistible sparkle of beautifully cared for fine jewelry? Since jewelry is both an accessory and an investment that’s intended to be enjoyed for generations to come, it’s important to care for your jewelry.
And, since we are so often asked how to care for fine jewelry correctly, we have compiled a comprehensive guide outlining exactly how to care for jewelry in 7 easy steps:
#1 - How To Store Fine Jewelry
While we are all about wearing jewelry everywhere, from your local grocery store to that late night Netflix marathon, we know jewelry does need to be stored at times. When it does, it needs to be stored properly to ensure it’s well cared for and protected.
To store fine jewelry correctly, there are really 3 things to keep in mind:
- Opt for soft fabric pouches or padded boxes (like the ones fine jewelry come in), as these provide a protective cushion and prevent scratches and exposure to harsh light, moisture, etc.
- Try to store each piece of fine jewelry in its own pouch or box. This prevents pieces from rubbing against each other and getting tangled, broken, or gemstones from becoming loose.
- Ensure each storage pouch or box is sealed and placed away from bright light and moisture. This prevents discoloration.
#2 - How to Care For Jewelry On A Day-To-Day Basis
Here at Luvente, we believe in celebrating life’s special moments, and isn’t every day worthy of celebration!?
So, if you are like us and wear your jewelry everywhere, follow these 5 tips to keep your fine jewelry in excellent condition:
- Remove your jewelry before bathing or showering. Moisture can tarnish fine jewelry over time.
- Apply your skincare products, perfume, makeup, and sunscreen before putting on your jewelry. The oils in these items can cause discoloration, especially if your jewelry features porous gemstones
- Store your jewelry in a dry, padded container when at the gym, in a hot yoga studio, in the sauna, at the beach, or in the swimming pool. Moisture, sweat, and chlorine can cause damage to your fine jewelry.
- When doing housework, particularly when washing dishes or using harsh chemicals, remove your jewelry and follow our safe storage tips above.
- After exposure to heat, moisture, oils, or chemicals, always dry and clean your jewelry using our easy tips in point 4 and 5 below.
#3 - How To Avoid Damage & Discoloration To Your Jewelry
Nobody wants to have a prized piece of jewelry damaged or discolored and we recommend the following 3 tips to prevent this from happening to your jewelry:
- Follow our tips above on how to store fine jewelry correctly.
- Keep your jewelry away from harsh light, moisture, and extreme temperatures.
- Prevent your jewelry from coming in contact with chemicals, lotions, oils, and perfumes.
#4 - How To Keep Your Jewelry Dry
The answer to this question is twofold:
- Wipe your jewelry gently with a soft, non-abrasive jewelry cloth.
- Follow our suggestions for storing fine jewelry correctly in point #1 above.
Bonus Tip: You can purchase jewelry cloths online and we always recommend carrying one with you…you never know when you might need it!
#5 - How To Clean Fine Jewelry
When it comes to keeping your jewelry clean, we recommend following the guidelines below, but when purchasing your jewelry, always ask for cleaning instructions specific to each piece of jewelry, as cleaning directions may vary slightly:
- Use a soft, non-abrasive jewelry cloth to remove dirt and wipe down moisture.
- Gently clean your jewelry with a jewelry cleaning cloth or soft jewelry brush, warm water, and mild dish soap. Avoid soaps with oils and harsh chemicals.
- Rinse your jewelry in a bowl of warm water before drying it thoroughly with a jewelry cloth.
#6 - How Often Should Jewelry Be Cleaned?
Cleaning your jewelry too often could result in premature wear and tear, while not cleaning it often enough could result in permanent discoloration.
So, how often should jewelry be cleaned? The ideal situation is bi-weekly, or once a month.
Most jewelry retailers also offer professional jewelry cleaning if you bring your jewelry back to the store you purchased it at. The next time you are shopping for new jewelry at your local Luvente Retailer be sure to bring your previous jewelry purchases with you for a cleaning!
#7 - How To Protect Your Investment
Lastly, while high-quality fine jewelry, such as Luvente jewelry, is made to last, scratches, broken links or clasps, worn prongs, or loose gemstones can occur as a result of normal wear, so protection and insurance plans are highly recommended.
When purchasing your jewelry from a Luvente Retailer near you, we recommend inquiring about jewelry warranties and jewelry insurance.
There are 7 easy steps you can take to keep your fine jewelry safe, cared for, clean, dry, and protected. By following the steps outlined above you can help to ensure your beautiful jewelry sparkles as it’s meant to, remains in mint condition, and can be enjoyed for generations to come.